- The Benefits of Labour Hire For Your Business >
- The cost of hiring >
- Labour hire – what is it? >
- Benefits to your business >
- Benefits to your workforce >
(Click on images for larger versions)
Quality labour is as important to a business’s success as it is hard to acquire. With a quality workforce, even a business with a limited number of resources can compete favourably with the biggest companies. In short, labour can make or break a business.
Like every other business asset, quality labour can be expensive. Couple this with the ever changing labour needs of a typical business and you have a problem; maintaining an optimum workforce at all times while keeping the labour bill at a minimum.
There are two main reasons why labour needs keep fluctuating. These are:
- Employee Absences. Sometimes workers miss work for extended periods due to illness, annual and maternity leaves. Their absence creates a labour shortfall that needs to be plugged, requiring the hiring of new employees.
- Fluctuating workloads. Demand for products is always fluctuating; sometimes it’s low, other times it’s high. When demand is high, additional employees are required to help increase production capacity.
The process of hiring an employee is expensive, especially when being repeatedly done for temporary positions – such as those resulting from the above situations.
But the cost of hiring a new employee goes beyond paying a wage. Factor in recruitment costs and employee training costs and you will realise that hiring an employee is quite an investment.
Recruiting costs come in the form of advertising for the vacant position, evaluating resumes, conducting interviews and checking references and backgrounds. All these tasks require both time and money to carry out.
After recruitment, the employee needs to be trained before they can become productive. It’s estimated that on average a single employee will require about 32 hours of training at a cost of $1,200 per year. And these figures are for employees already working in the organisation. New hires will require more time for orientation and the initial job training. (Source: https://www.td.org/Publications/Magazines/TD/TD-Archive/2014/11/2014-State-of-the-Industry-Report-Spending-on-Employee-Training-Remains-a-Priority)
For a large number of businesses, recruiting skilled labour is a long, expensive and often stressful process. But did you know there is a simple solution that can solve all your needs and provide the perfect worker for you every time? Well, there is. Whether your business requires staff to work the odd shift or work on a project, skilled labour hire will help solve all your labour needs.
Labour hire reduces the time and cost of hiring employees by providing your business with workers who can be put to work immediately.
The concept of labour hire is pretty simple; it’s a labour arrangement where a third party – commonly referred to as a labour hire agency/company – provides outsourced workers to your business either on a temporary or permanent basis.
The workers provided by the agency (often referred to as on-hired employees, temps, or contractors) are employees of the agency, not yours, even though they’ll be working in your organisation. All employer obligations such as remuneration and benefits will, therefore, remain with the labour hire company.
In its infancy, labour hire was only able to provide workers for a limited number of job roles, but as it gained popularity throughout Australia, labour hire grew and can now serve clients and projects across a large variety of industries with varying labour needs. From unskilled to highly skilled workers, labour hire is now able to fulfil virtually any business’ labour requirement.
Labour hire is beneficial to all businesses regardless of their size and area of specialisation. We have compiled some of the major benefits your business can gain from using labour hire. They are:
- Reduced costs.
Labour hire effectively shortens the hiring process by eliminating most of the steps such as advertisement for positions, CV evaluation, conducting interviews, initial training and induction among other recruitment obligations.
In addition to this, labour hire smoothens out labour supply meaning that you don’t need to keep an excess number of permanent employees for that one time you require them. Because the hiring process is swift and effective, you can keep a core workforce of permanent employees and bring in temps for projects or to help out during high demand. You, therefore, won’t have to pay for employees you don’t need.
Employer obligations such as payment of wages, workers compensation insurance, superannuation, payroll tax and record keeping are also taken care of by the labour hire firm. Wages payments are made by the labour hire firm as are all employee administrative overheads and record keeping. This frees your company to concentrate on its core mandate and reduce administration costs.
2. Reduced training expenses
Sometimes even after a lot of effort has been put in finding the right person to fill a position, extra training is required to tailor their skills to meet the specific requirements of your business – this training costs money. With labour hire, however, every worker provided in addition to the standard screening is checked for compatibility to ensure they posses the exact qualifications, skills and experience that you require. This helps reduce downtime significantly as workers can start the job straight away.
3. Time Saving.
With activities such as preparing job descriptions, advertising for vacant positions, shortlisting, interviewing and reference checking, the entire recruitment process consumes a lot of time. By the time you get the perfect worker to fill a position, the need for an extra worker could be over and you might have missed out on servicing a customer or meeting a deadline – a significant loss. By tapping into a labour hire firm’s resource pool, you are guaranteed of skilled labour to fulfil your business needs at all times. Time is money; it’s worth saving.
4. Workforce flexibility.
Businesses in blue-collar industries usually experience seasonal fluctuations in demand for products and services. Whether your business is in mining, hospitality or construction, there are times when demand is not adequate to occupy your entire permanent workforce. This is not only financially difficult for the business, but can also cause demotivation and loss of momentum for employees.
With labour hire, you can maintain a lean permanent workforce and increase it when the need arises with on-hired workers. It provides you with the ability to adjust your workforce quickly, which gives you the flexibility to adapt to changing workloads at a moment’s notice. This ensures that your workforce is at an optimum level at all times depending on your current workload, keeping your labour costs low while ensuring customer satisfaction.
5. Expertise and experience.
Workers provided by your labour hire agency have already worked for other companies in your industry and will bring the wealth of experience they have acquired to your organisation. The fresh and new approaches they bring could be exactly what your business requires to get to the next level.
On-hired staff will also provide the skillsets you require for one-off projects that you may lack in-house. It’s a cheaper alternative to training your employees for a skill that will not be required again after the project is complete.
6. Specialised recruitment.
Labour hire companies are specialised in providing labour, it’s what they do. We understand the ins and outs of the labour market within all fields and industries. Utilising an expert to help you source workers for your business or project will ensure that you get the best employee to suit your specific needs.
Labour hire firms maintain large databases of skilled workers who have already undergone a rigorous assessment and have prior work experience. The firm is, therefore, able to provide high-quality workers for your business who are ready to begin work immediately. And because of their large database, workers can be provided in bulk without compromising quality. This effectively reduces downtime due to labour shortages.
Labour hire is not only beneficial to your business but to your workforce as well. Benefits to your workforce include:
- On-hired employees, through interactions with your core workforce, will share their knowledge and the experience they have gained from working in different companies in your industry helping your employees improve their performances and better their own careers.
- Reduced stress. Labour shortages caused by employee absences and increased production requirements can result in overworking of employees. This could stress out your core workforce leading to reduced productivity and high employee turnover. Labour hire ensures that your employees only take on the right amount of work for maximum productivity while ensuring they maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Opportunity for career advancement. For employees who need to take some time off to advance their skills, labour hire offers the perfect solution by providing temporary replacements to hold the fort, as they develop their skills.
Labour hire is loved by business owners and job seekers alike because of the benefits it provides to both. Job seekers who work for labour hire companies are happy because they get the opportunity to work for a variety of companies at a considerably higher pay rate.
Labour hire also provides people who do not want the rigidity of permanent employment with the flexibility to choose when they want to work. On-hired workers are therefore able to take time off when they require to focus on other aspects of their lives.
Small businesses also use temps for a trial period before recruiting them permanently into their workforce. Labour hire gives job seekers looking for permanent employment a chance for them to demonstrate their skills to potential employers while still earning from their services. Hiring skilled labour is beneficial in this regard.
The benefits of using experts with extensive experience in the labour industry for your labour needs is clear, that is why thousands of businesses across Australia are using labour hire for their business needs. But with so many options out there, it can be difficult to choose the right labour partner for your business.
Here are some of the aspects you should look at before enlisting the help of a labour hire company:
- Industry knowledge. The labour hire agency you select for your company should have the knowledge and experience to recruit for your specific industry.
- Worker follow A good labour hire firm should follow up on workers placed in your company to ensure consistent performance and client satisfaction.
- Although it rarely happens, your labour provider should be able to guarantee replacement of workers who do not perform satisfactorily after a certain observation period.
- The labour hire company you choose should have a large enough database to cater for your labour needs, especially if your labour needs are large.
Don’t just consider labour hire for your next business project, give it a try and you’ll realise that this is an outstanding business solution that no business can afford to ignore. Read more about Blue Collar People’s Labour Hire Solutions.
Labour hire can be of benefit in various industries as follows:
Benefits of labour hire in the mining industry include:
- Reduced risk. With labour hire, all the risks associated with labour such as worker injuries are covered by the labour hire agency. This frees your company of any employee risks.
- Workforce flexibility. Demand for resources is always fluctuating. With labour hire, you are able to adjust your labour force to match the required output without having to pay for idle employees.
- Additional expertise. Sometimes a specialist needs to be brought in for a couple of days to complete a certain task. Labour hire enables you to do this without hiring a full-time employee that will no longer be required after the job is done, or the hustle of contract negotiations.
For mining operations, we recruit for the following roles:
- Multi Skilled Operators
- Excavator/ Shovel Operators
- Grader Operators
- Dozer Operators
- Loader Operators
- Store Persons
- Diesel Mechanics
- Water Cart Operators among others
Benefits of labour hire in the construction industry include:
- Bulk placements. Large construction projects often require a large labour force which can pose quite a challenge in acquiring. Thanks to the large databases of vetted workers maintained by labour hire firms, you can get as many workers as you need to cover as many positions as you have within a very short period of time.
- Large skills pool. Construction sites will often require different kinds of skill sets for the completion of a project. With labour hire, all your skill needs can be sorted out “under one roof”.
- Time saving. Construction projects usually have very strict deadlines to meet. With labour hire providing your labour force, you’ll be able to save the time it would have taken to recruit workers and use it instead to get the project going.
We recruit for the following construction roles:
- 1st and 2nd Class Welders
- Steel Fixers
- General Labourers
- Machine Operators
- Demolition Labourers and much more.
Benefits of labour hire in manufacturing include:
- Reduced downtime. A single employee absence can sometimes disrupt the whole production line causing a complete halt in operations or a reduction in production capacity. Labour hire provides quick cover for your absent employees to ensure you are always running at optimum capacity.
- Reduced labour expenses. Labour hire provides temps that can be used to cover overtime shifts helping you save on labour expenses.
- Ready-to-work employees. Workers provided by labour hire firms have the skills and training to get to work immediately which saves both time and money that would have been used for
We recruit for the following manufacturing roles:
- Machine operators
- Forklift Operators
- Truck Drivers
- Assembly/Production Line Labourers
- CNC Operators among others.
Read more about Blue Collar People’s Labour Hire Services.