Are staff shortages an issue? You can cover your shortfall of workers with casual employees to maintain productivity during labour gaps. Read about how Blue Collar People can help you with quality labour hire…
As they say, all work with no play makes for less productive employees. It is for this reason – and the law of course – that all permanent and part-time employees are entitled to at least 4 weeks of paid time off each year. Giving your employees some time off to relax is both beneficial for your organisation and the employees. It doesn’t seem so, but it is.
Allowing your employees a break gives them the chance to relieve their work-weary minds. On the employees’ side, holidays are important as they help reduce stress and rejuvenate their spirits which in turn helps improve the employees’ productivity and thus benefiting the organisation. Although generally beneficial, there is a downside to employees taking work leaves; labour gaps.
When one or several employees take some time off from work, they leave the organisation with a shortfall in workers. This can seriously hurt production in the short run. But it doesn’t have to be this way. By hiring casual workers to cover for the absent employees, loss in productivity due to labour shortage can be reduced significantly or completely avoided.
When you are in need of casual workers, there are generally two ways of going about hiring them. You can hire them yourself, or have a labour hire agency provide the workers to you.
By using the services of a labour hire agency you will get the following benefits:
- Reduced hiring costs. Recruiting new employees is an expensive endeavour. Your company will need to spend a significant amount of resources (both time and money) on advertising the vacant positions, CV evaluation, interviews and checking up on the candidates’ background. Once you have found the right employee, more costs will be incurred in payroll processing and administration for the casual worker. All these resources will be spent on hiring an employee who will only serve the organisation for a few weeks at most. Do this a couple of times for all your employees going on leave and the costs will increase significantly.
By using labour hire, all these responsibilities will be handled at no cost to you. All you need to do is notify the recruitment agency of the vacant position and the skills needed and the agency will provide the worker.
- Quick recruitment. It sometimes takes a long time to get the right quality casual worker to cover a vacant position. Labour hire agencies have candidates on standby who are ready and willing to begin work at a moment’s notice. This will effectively help you cut on downtime and minimise losses due to labour shortfalls.
- Large talent pool. Because recruiting employees is their core business activity, labour hire agencies will have access to a larger pool of workers than your company. This means that you always have an army of workers on standby with expertise ranging from simple to very complex.
- Reduced training. When you are hiring casual workers, you want to spend as little as possible on training them as they won’t be around long enough for you to benefit from the investment. Casual workers from labour-hire firms already have training – and often the experience – for the position you want filled which will save you both time and money.
- Convenience. Getting a casual employee to cover for an employee on holiday is as easy as sending out an email or making a single phone call. The recruitment agency will handle all the details including those regarding remuneration.
Read more about our casual labour hire services >
24th January 2019